Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Tongue of Angels

Have you ever been at a funeral and heard the departed eulogized as someone who never spoke an unkind word about any other person?

Okay, so I really haven't either. I think it may actually be kind of rare.

So, my goal (Integrity 2) is to live and speak in such a way that at my funeral someone who knew me well could say, "She never said an unkind thing about anyone. She was always encouraging. Always positive." (My next step in this goal aside from not saying negative things is to actually begin saying positive encouraging things, but that's later.)

If you'd like to join me, here is some excellent reading:
Your Name is Safe in Our Home
The Tongue of Angels
James 3

But before I go off to actually try this out, I have a question: What do you do when a person in a position of respect starts to gossip and expects you to join in? Let's say that defending the person being gossipped about just makes the gossipping worse. What do you do?

2 comments:

sisterkimmy said...

OK - This is what I TRY to do. Sometimes it works-sometimes it doesn't.

Stay quiet for awhile until you feel the time is right. THEN ask someone a question about themselves. Try to steer the conversation in another direction. People usually like talking about themselves, especially if someone is interested. If the conversation doesn't change maybe at least you can get a side conversation going with one person and stay out of the gossip.

Good question. I'll be reading your article and comment later.

Sis Carnahan

Elise said...

That's pretty genius. I will definitely try that out. And I'll let you know how it goes.