Friday, June 13, 2008

A Daughter of God

This morning I met with a small group of young mothers to discuss "Living Right for a Meaningful Life", headed by one of my favorite examples of such a life, Debbie Johns.  The original ideas came from these talks by Richard G. Scott:
All are definitely recommended reading.

The overwhelming thesis that we pulled from these readings is this: we exist to have joy.  How great is that?  Our whole purpose, and the purpose of our Heavenly Father, is our joy, happiness, immortality, exaltation...  If there is anything in our path that seems to prevent that, we can remember that God wants us to be happy.  Being that He is all-powerful, His wants can be fulfilled, but he leaves some of that to us.  With Him on our side, we can make it happen, no matter the impediment (Romans 8:31).  

Why would my personal happiness be so important to the God of the Universe?  Because I am His daughter, endowed by this Heavenly Father with divine attributes by spiritual birth (Romans 8:16-17).  Like any good parent, he wants to teach me to use those gifts that he has given and to make them an integral part of myself.

Divine Nature Value Experience #1 asks that I list the divine qualities of a daughter of God from a selection of scriptures.  Here is what I have come up with.

A daughter of God is:
created in the image of God         humble
beloved of heavenly parents        submissive
divine in nature and destiny       gentle
eternally female                          easy to entreat
accountable                                 thankful
nurturing                                     faithful
knowledgeable                            hopeful
virtuous                                       confident
diligent                                        charitable
temperate                                      kind
patient

Although these are gifts that I have inherited from my divine parent, I can choose to let them atrophy.  A couple that I could and should practice more diligently are being temperate and patient (sorry Bethelle, I'm really trying) and also humility.  Rather than accept that I'm just not a very humble person in some situations, I can instead know that I have that divine gift and should take better advantage of the gift by using it and striving to be better.

1 comment:

Elise said...

It's interesting that you point this out, Elke. Brad and I were just talking about the joy factor. In fact, I sometimes find it easier to make a decision when I think of the choices as not "right" and "wrong" but as "joy" and "misery." (Or in Alma's words, "eternal life," or "endless torment.")

I love your divine attributes list. Very comprehensive.