Thursday, May 29, 2008

Good Works #6

Last night I did not go to young women's (youth night at church) as I usually do on Wednesdays, but as Nick is in the habit of taking care of Rigby and Bethelle on those nights as often as possible, I took advantage by sewing four pair of basketball shorts for the youth who will perform in the upcoming regional dance festival.  I sat pinning, cutting, and sewing, listening to "Memoir of Jane Austen" on my iPod, and thinking a little about this blog and what items to complete first.

I particularly thought about Good Works #6 which involves doing three hours of service outside of your family.  I mused over this for quite a while.  As Nick is the elders quorum president, he is gone/busy quite a bit.  Much of his time outside of that is used in finishing our unfinished home (we are currently tiling the master bathroom, which has been so many 2x4s for over two years now).  Sewing the shorts together, I thought, "When will I ever find three hours to work on something outside of my family?"  That would, of course, be so great to do, but how would I get away from the kids and my home responsibilities for that long?

It was not until today that I saw the irony in the whole business.  How blind can I be?  Here are the results of my three hours of service to someone outside of my family:

The dance festival is both a blessing and a burden.  Hopefully more of the former.  I think I eased a little of the latter with my three hours.  I hope not only to perform similar service in the future, but to recognize it as I do it.  When you don't realize that you are doing service as a part of your quotidian routine, you might get down on yourself for its lack.  Recognizing it helps me to recognize my worth and contributions.

1 comment:

Rita said...

Elke, Whether you think about it or not, you do good works and are of service to others when you do your church callings, especially cheerfully and with a good heart and when you are such a good example to those around you (the young women, the choir members, the ward, your extended family). You can do good works every minute of your life as you live a Christ-like life.
I love you, Your Mom